Caring & Sharing
The Cancer Society of the Bahamas is a separate organization from all of the others that are existing throughout the Bahamas. The Cancer Society of the Bahamas is a non-profit organization that was formed in 1976, the mission of the Cancer Society of the Bahamas has been to serve the public through educational programmes aimed at prevention, early detection and treatment of cancer while providing support to cancer patients and their families.
The Cancer Caring Centre plays an important role in this regard relying on and operating with the support of volunteers, fundraising events and public donations, the Cancer Society is proud of its impressive achievements over these past 41 years.
Some Cancer Society Highlights have been:
- Donations to the Princess Margaret Hospital of cancer screening and diagnostic equipment, including a mammogram machine which was the first machine in the Bahamas and fibreoptic bronchoscope, as well as equipment to facilitate safer, more effective chemotherapy treatments;
- Scholarships for Bahamians to study Cytotechnology, Oncology Nursing and conduct research abroad;
- The establishment of “Cancer Awareness Month” each May involving extensive cancer educational activities, healthy lifestyle, promotions and media saturation;
- Creation of the successful National Pap Smear and Breast Screening of women and Prostate Screening Campaigns for men; includes visiting numerous Family Islands annually throughout the archipelago of The Bahamas, all of which are FREE;
- Creation of the successful Ride for Hope Mammogram Campaign;
- Creation of the successful Ride for Hope Medical Assistance Fund
- Financing annual trips for children to Camp Good Days in New York;
- Establishment of Support Groups in partnership with Us TOO for men that will provide invaluable emotional and moral support for patients;
These are just a few of the many contributions that the Cancer Society of the Bahamas has made regarding assistance to combat cancer.